17 January 2022

Pop music.

I do like a really good single. Rip It Up by Orange Juice is probably my favourite of all time. I used to have a version, on cassette, that played the lyrics backwards at one part of the song, it was even more fabulous than the original. (If anyone can reunite me with that piece of wonder please get in touch, I can't find it on Spotify.)


Definition of a pop single, released as a single, should have charted somewhere at some time, and most importantly, the first few bars make me smile (feet itching to move is an optional extra). Ideally, it should be a bit of an earworm too and have a personal, historical connection, a time and a place.

I'm inclined to agree with Paul Morley about the quality of Kylie's I Can't Get You Out of My Head.

I Can't Get You Out of My Head.

More recently Christine and the Queens' Tilted features strongly in my top ten pop singles of all time.

Tilted.

So what of this year? There's a contender, time may tell but I think it's a serious one.

Self-esteem - I Do This All the Time.

Musically sophisticated, complex but simple. Killer chorus. Lyrically, interesting.

I'm going to have to come up with the other six or seven now aren't I? (As I discovered that's an impossible number, but we don't want too many.)  I'll complete the list next week sometime, in the meantime I'm (uncharacteristically) listening to a lot of pop music.

They're arriving in installments, day at  time, perhaps.

Hole in My Shoe - Traffic.

From 1967, when I was 12. It was on the radio all the time and I loved it. Reminds me of holidays in Thorpeness, Suffolk.

 
Lupe mined a very deep seam in the mid 2000s, for me this was an exceptional record. We were living in North Yorkshire at the time and watched his set (on TV) at Glastonbury over and over.


From 1966, when I was 11, another earworm of my life, "All the leaves are brown and the skies are grey, I've been for a walk on a winter's day....." California Dreamin' by The Mamas and the Papas.

I'm not allowed Blackbird as it was, apparently, not released as a single (correction comments welcome) and I used to have "Hey, Jude" constantly in my head, but it's a bit bombastic. I never listen to the Beatles these days, it's interesting listening to a few songs now. Here Comes the Sun probably comes closest to a pop single for me, instead let's have some Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill, Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin. The reference to Brecht reflecting my political allegiances.



It's the music I grew up with, or at least closely related to the big band sound my dad was obsessed with and collected.
 
Ok, time for us hippies, here's Carly Simon, "You're So Vain".






 
That's 14 plus one, when's this going to end? There's a few more to come yet....


Everyone chooses Tainted Love, but this is my favourite. And more Brechtian links via Marc Almond. And there is a connection to the next, perhaps the best pop record ever made....




The sound of summer and tearing around Dungeness in my knackered Fiat 127.

 
I grew up with their TV programme. Fabulous!


The genius of Brian Wilson, and Mike Love. There's a new film about Brian, it sounds interesting, Long Promised Road.


I find it very difficult to choose which song of this time/genre. I spent a bit of time being a roadie for a Tamla/soul DJ. This is probably my favourite, but honestly, listen to the extended version for something exceptional.


Essential listening but make sure you get the Pts 1&2 version.


I still have my Two Tribes t-shirt, a bit tight on me these days! The story of making this wonderful record is here https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/02/how-we-made-relax-by-frankie-goes-to-hollywood-sex-mix-gay-clubs
 
The problem with David Bowie is which record? So much wonder, but they're not really pop songs, are they? 
 



Lyrically prescient, 52 years ago Ray came up with a song that has continuing relevance.
 

I saw them shortly after this was released. Bradford University, they walked on, played for 45 minutes and fucked off. One of the best live performances ever. And another icon of my long lost vinyl collection.
 
And that's it. Twenty five amazing records and one that might be, given the test of time. But for all sorts of reasons, mostly just personal, these are the best 25 pop records ever released. I'm just editing my Spotify playlist of them now.

Now, about that list of dance tracks....

2 comments:

  1. Would 'Redemption Song' by Bob Marley be eligible if you decide to expand the list? And a track that I think is wonderful, but that no-one else seems to know, is '225' by New Model Army, (though it probably was not released as a single). P.S., Halifax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pete. Redemption Song would indeed be eligible. However, my own Bob Marley earworm is Jamming, strangely connected to my first teaching job in East Leeds. I don't know 225, I must look it up. The whole thing is very subjective and personal. Have you had a look at the 104 in the tabs at the top of the page? I've yet to complete it, next in is Floating Points Promises, to be added shortly. You might enjoy exploring my list and Stuart MaConie's too.

    ReplyDelete

An album and an EP - enjoy!

 Bright Future by Adrianne Lenker  and The Great Gatsby by Jeffrey Lewis. Bright Future by Adrianne Lenker. https://jeffreylewis.bandcamp.co...